When a Wild card appears at the start of the game, the first player gets to choose which color will begin the gameplay. The Wild card represents all the colors in the Uno game, and a player can place it on any card and change the color of the Discard Pile.
Some players say a Wild card should not be the top card at the start of the game, and the card must be returned to the deck and substituted with another card.
There are only two types of Wild cards in the classic Uno card game: Wild Draw four and Wild card. However, it is possible to turn the blank cards into one of the many specialty Uno games Wild Cards such as Wild Swap Hands or Wild Shuffle Cards.
So, what are Uno rules for Wild cards?
- Wild cards are universal, and ultimately represent all the four colors. In this regard, a player can play them on any card on top of the Discard pile.
- When a player plays any of the Wild cards, they get to choose which color will continue in the game for the next player.
- A player can play a Wild card on another Wild card to change the outcome of the Discard pile.
- When a Wild card appears at the beginning of the game, the first player gets to choose which color will begin the play.
This article explores the rules for using Wild cards in Uno. Answered below are frequently asked questions about Wild card rules in Uno, and how the action cards can be played.
What does a Wild card do in UNO?
A Wild card gives the player who played it powers to choose the color for the Discard pile. Once a Wild card is played, an action can be taken by the next player if following the color set forth by the Wild.
Here are actions taken when Wild cards are played in Uno:
- When a player places a Wild Draw four-card on the discard pile, the next player must Draw four cards from the Draw pile since a player cannot stack a Wild Draw four card. Again, a player has to choose which color has to continue in the game.
- When a Wild Swap Hands card is played, the player swaps their hands with another player of their choice.
- When a player plays a Wild shuffle hand s card, the player collects all the cards from all the players and gives those cards a good shuffle before dealing the cards back to the players. The cards are dealt evenly across all the players. The deal of the card should start from the left side of the player who played the card.
- When a Wild Customizable card is played in the Uno game, the player will apply any house rules, typically agreed upon at the beginning of the game. The Blank cards in the deck are often used for this purpose, as long as the group agrees upon the house rules before playing.
When playing UNO, can you go out on a Wild card?
Certainly yes! When a player is holding any of the Wild cards in their hands as their last card, they can end on a Wild in Uno.
All Wild cards can be discarded on the discard pile regardless of the card on top since it represents all the colors in the Uno game.
Do you have to change the color with a Wild card?
No! When a Wild card is played, a player may change the color of the Discard, but it is not mandatory.
A player can decide to change the color on the play to another color if it favors their hand, but at the same time, the player can choose the current color to continue, especially if they have multiple Wilds in their hand to discard.
Wild Card Rules
- When a Wild card is played, a new discard color is selected that the next player must follow.
- A Wild card can be placed on top of any card because they represent all the colors in the Uno game.
- A Wild card can be played even though a player has another playable card.
- When a Wild card is flipped over as the first card on the Discard pile, the first player decides which color continues.
- When a Wild Draw four card is played , the next player has to Draw four cards from the Draw pile.
- If it’s the last card of the game, the next player still needs to draw four cards because the points are added to the final score of the round.
- When a Wild swap hand is played, the active player chooses a player to switch hands with.
- A player gets to shuffle all the players’ cards when they play a Wild shuffle hands card, then redistribute them evenly to all players.
Uno Wild Card Rules: Conclusion
A Wild card in the Uno game is any card that represents all the four colors. In this regard, it can be placed over any card on the Discard pile, at any time during a player’s turn.
When played, a player has to choose which color the next player has to play.
Furthermore, when overturned as the first card on the Discard pile at the beginning of the game, the first player gets to choose which color continues the play.
A player can play a Wild card even when having another playable card. When used as an action card, the action must be taken either by the player who played it or the opponent players depending on the type of action required.
Since there are multiple versions of Uno, we are discussing the four Wild cards available in the classic game: Wild swap hands card, Wild Draw four cards, Wild shuffle hands card, and Wild card.
In the Uno game, a player can go out with any Wild cards when played as the last card in their hand. When a player has only a Wild card left, they can discard it regardless of the card on top and their hand is over.
It’s not a must for a player to change the suit color of the gameplay. A player may decide to continue with the current color of the play as long as it suits them. However, they cannot play a Wild card and play another card at the same time, they will have to wait until their turn arrives once again.
Friday 7th of January 2022
Can a wild card be played on top of a draw 2 card or a draw four card and nigate picking cards?? Please advise before I kill my spouse.
Saturday 8th of January 2022
Haha... hopefully no harm has been done. The answer is no, an action card cannot be played on a draw card to avoid picking cards unless that is established as a house rule before gameplay begins. Some people play stacking rules to block, counter or redirect extra punishment to the following player, but these are house rules that must be agreed upon before playing the game.