Do you know any dice games to play alone? Playing with dice is generally fun and entertaining with two or four players, but game play does not have to feel limited when you are by yourself.
Sometimes it is not the case, and most games suggest minimum of 2 instead of solo player. There are certain dice games that are perfect to play with one player, so let’s learn about a few.
What are the best dice games to play by yourself? If you have been playing only Yahtzee or Farkle with groups of people, you may wonder if there are other dice games to play solo. It may not be the same to play dice games by yourself, however there are special dice games for you to try playing alone.
The best dice games to play for one player are:
- Shut the box dice game
- Nations: The Dice Game
- Star Trek: The Dice Game
- Firefly Shiny Dice Game
- The Cards of Cthulhu
- Dice City
- Dungeon Roll Dice Game
- Roll for the Galaxy
Not all dice games are fun to play as solo because dice games can become quick and luck based game that require less strategy and planning compared to board games. To play solo dice games, you need to be creative and select the right games.
Several people use dice primarily for board games that come in a package all together. The limited complexity doesn’t have to jeopardize the gameplay.
There are many ways to play traditional and modern dice game for one player. Some amazing dice games for rolling solo for kids, which use paper and dice only.
In this article, we are going to learn how to play dice game alone and what kind of dices games you can play by yourself.
Can you play a dice game alone?
Yes, you can play dice games alone and it is a fun way to pass time even when you are alone. They can be played solo or in a group and the majority of these games need just a pencil, dice, and paper to keep your score.
Whether you are traveling for work or looking to spend time at home, dice games are generally very small and compact, making them easy to bring anywhere indoor and outdoor.
Dice games are popular since they are versatile and can be played with 1 to 4 players and sometimes much more. They can be played anywhere from a car to a tabletop and at any age.
In addition, these games are educational by teaching addition, counting, and subtraction. The learning possibilities go far beyond with physical dexterity and mental connections.
What are the best dice games you can play by yourself?
- Includes Shut the Box game board, 1 pair of dice, and poker chips or money.
- Fast moving game of dice.
- Can be played in the classroom and enjoyed in pubs.
- Helps with basic math addition skills.
- Strengthen memory and cognitive skills.
In this game, each dice roll permits the player to close a number of a number that is more than what adds to give the number obtained on the roll.
For i.e. at a roll of 7, you can cover either 7 or a combination of 3 and 4. The objective is to roll the dice until you get a roll that can’t be closed on the box.
The total of the number remaining is your score.
- Recommended ages 14 and up.
- Playtime is 10 to 15 minutes.
- Includes Chits, 4-sided dice, 6-sided dice, wooden markers, event tiles, progress tiles, player order or overview cards, player boards, score board, progress board, and rulebook.
- Shorter dice version of the Nations board game.
With the increase of population, nations have to provide food to construct a productive economy. Some nations amaze worldly nations with their achievement to construct their heritage to be on top in history.
This game has for 4 ages or rounds, and the player can build a wonder, buy a tile, re-roll all your dice or roll some of your dice again in each round.
You get victory points with wonders and dice provide military and buildings. New tiles add benefits and roll the dice to advisors.
The player with the most victory points wins.
- Playing time is 45 to 90 minutes.
- Recommended ages 12 and up.
- Perfect for Star Trek fans.
- Includes 1 Enterprise mat, 7 Crew mats, 3 deck of alert cards, 35 six-sided dice, 1 sand timer, and 1 damage marker.
- Great strategy dice game.
To win in this game, you need to finish the missions and challenge the unpredictable events that arise during the game. When you finish the final 5-year exploration, your return is ensured in glory to the headquarters and you will be promoted to admiral.
The constraints and difficulties as you travel away from the federations space become more challenging.
- Play full game in under 30 minutes.
- Features 15 dice, 2 playmates, 100 cards, and 1 rule sheet.
- Includes Victory Point Tokens, Bystander Tokens, and Player Screens.
- All time favorite games to play solo.
- Quality solitaire and patience game.
When you roll 15 dice in the first round, ie., 3 passenger or white dice, 7 crew or brown dice, and 5 bad guy or black dice, place them in the appropriate display. You are given re-rolls too, where you need to reveal your mission.
If the dice roll and your mission number match, then the bold line is unaffected to you. If not, you have to end the present turn and take an extra turn or other impacts are done.
The bad guys strike when the mission is revealed. Defeat the bad guys and get points. After 3 rounds, the most points win.
- Minimal setup time.
- Recommended ages 10 or older.
- Amount of time to play is 60 minutes.
- Perfect color or cooperative card game with dice pooling.
- Fun solitaire style game that is hard to beat.
This game can be played by 1 to 4 players, but is especially best to play by yourself.
It involves battling different monsters of Cthulhu split into minor, major, horror cards. Gain followers who have unique capabilities to help you so that you can buy special gifts and cards like the gate card, cult cards, and so on.
The objective of this game is to defeat the invading monsters.
- Playing time last 45 to 60 minutes.
- Suitable for ages 14 and up.
- Features 4 player boards, 20 dice, 149 cards, 93 tokens, and 1 rule book.
- Use tactics and strategy to become Rolldovia’s new capital.
- Includes special directions for solo play.
This dice game is all about growing your village. In addition, it provides economic and cultural aspect that fulfill the citizen to create a village on your own.
Dice City is complex enough to be challenging for a single player, so if you are up for challenge, here we go!
- Duration of playtime is 15 minutes
- Recommended ages 14 and up.
- Features 14 custom dice and 8 unique heroes.
- Comes in treasure chest box to loot the treasures.
- Variety of strategy and options instead of just pure luck.
There are 3 levels. Stride to second and third by using companions, reviving with potions, and using your ultimate power.
All you need is to get to the dragon’s horde of treasure. Be aware to watch out for dragons along the way.
Play with 8 unique heroes, 14 custom dice and a mountain of treasures.
- Includes 1 scoring pad, 9 double-sided Lab tiles, 6 dice, 16 markers, and 1 rule book.
- Suitable for ages 14 and up.
- Duration of this game lasts 20 to 30 minutes.
- Fun solo game that has enormous replay value.
- Quick, easy to learn and teaches with cute artwork designs.
To play Octo dice game, every roll should pick 2 dice to take any color. At the finish line, combine 6 dice and take only 2 actions for every turn.
Enter the actions and note the points on a paper. Expand your lab with bonus points and actions.
- The game lasts about 45 minutes of playing time.
- Recommend ages 13 and up.
- Great strategy game.
- Can be played with 2 to 5 players, however there are unofficial solo version for single player gameplay.
- Requires limited interaction with other player.
In this dice game, each player creates a civilization by recruiting workers to settle worlds and build development with the game tiles over several rounds.
Start each round by rolling the dice and the workers who complete the tasks can go to the player’s Citizenry. The winner is the player who manages workers and constructs a prosperous empire.
- Fun for 1 to 5 players but best played as a single player.
- Suitable for ages 10 or more.
- Quick and fast gameplay that lasts 10 minutes of playing time.
- Uses timer to limit to work through and defuse the bombs.
- Quick to learn but challenging to master.
The goal of the intruders is destruction. Over 20 bombs are set onboard and the timer has begun.
Your BDT- bomb defused team has to neutralize the bombs with detection before it's too late.
It is a cooperative game that uses 65 cards and 25 dice. The time is set at 10 times to maximize your potential per dice roll.
One Player Dice Games: Conclusion
Playing dice games with groups of friends and family is enjoyable. Sometimes, it feels playing dice game alone feels not quite the same as with others, therefore it may seem impossible to play dice game by yourself.
However, dice game for one player are actually a fun way to introduce strategical planning and thinking to kids or adults of all ages. They teach social and logical skills, while being portable and inexpensive to enjoy anytime and anywhere without a limit.
These solo dice games are not purely luck based game. Instead they require strategy and critical thinking to win and solve problem.
Some dice games recommend to play with two or more players, but these popular single player games include solo variations or rules to enjoy by yourself.